Topic: backtesting 90% quality model, reliable???

Do you guys trust on backtest on mt4? I am not talking about the bulls*** that appears in those eas sales pages, but, your own backtest experience... I mean consider one use 90% model quality, he wont cheat himself, so, lets say, do a backtest starting on first day of this year, until now, with 90% model quality, (alpari data), how near would be that from reality?

Re: backtesting 90% quality model, reliable???

bear in mind too that the spread and DST changes won't be reflected in the backtest. So for brokers like Alpari who have variable spread, you won't necessarily get consistent results if you re-import the history, and also across the 24hr day where spread will vary according to liquidity/market movement/broker actions...

Backtesting gives you an impression on how an EA would perform in the past.
But it is not compared to the reality of real trading. Spreads, volume, latency, etcetera all matters.
That's the same for trading on demo.

Results from the past are no guarantee for the future

backtesting giving you an impressin.  i do not campair for real trading.

there is a lot of difference with back test and live test. in back test you only show the strategy of ea.

better b a c k t e s t ea in forex open day

thanks very much..... Merry XMas and Happy new year 2015. Good luck

Agree with expertfx and you should do you calculations carefully and calculate specific periods. For example RUB/USD move was gold mine for some not that greath EAs which dissapeared afterwards.

I think back test can not make the choice number 1. indeed until now I also have not found a way to fit the reality test. EA so I think they need a fairly tight control.

Agree with expertfx and you should do you calculations carefully and calculate specific periods. For example RUB/USD move was gold mine for some not that greath EAs which dissapeared afterwards.

If you wish to increase the quality of your backtests on MT4, have a look at this article
http://4xtrader.net/mt4-back-testing-modeling-quality/

I am hoping to automate small range Renko Block strategies (5 pip boxes). However the backtesting on MT4 is not reliable as the renko boxers only Interpolate the 1M candles (not tick data) and give the backtest an extra smooth effect.

I think back test can not make the choice number 1. indeed until now I also have not found a way to fit the reality test. EA so I think they need a fairly tight contl

Hello good afternoon ,
there any way to increase the quality of modeling above 90%?
Thank you.